Monday, May 27, 2013

Bose® SoundLink® Bluetooth Mobile Speaker II - Nylon

I'm tempted to do a video review of a side-by-side comparison between the SoundLink I and the Soundlink II, but, when all is said and done, it's the sound that matters and there's no way to convey that unless you yourself preview the sound difference live. That said, here's my assessment in comparing the two:
Yes, the sound is quite a bit fuller, yet better balanced with improvement on the mids and highs -- w/ crisper sound on the top end without beginning tinny, hissy or overly blaring. Another reviewer stated the treble was diminished on the SL II, but I'm hearing differently. From the big brassy sounds of 60s era Sinatra to the Edge's (from U2) guitar -- you actually get more of that nice shimmering mid-range and treble. The bass is solid and expansive without being exaggerated. There are times when it sounds and feels like I've got a dedicated floor standing subwoofer, and then I look over and I'm reminded that all that sound comes from something no bigger than a hardcover book. Some reviewers have said that they hear little or no difference between the Soundlinks I and II. So I'll add to points here:
--You will probably hear the difference in sound quality between Soundlink I and II if you play a wide variety different musical genres. I did.
--If you read the hundreds of Soundlink I reviews on Amazon, you will hear one consistent theme, the mid-range and highs on the Soundlink I sound muddy or muffled, especially compared with Big Jambox. While I hear the difference, the Soundlink I still provides me with a pleasant listening experience. If the Soundlink II did not exist, I'd be very happy with the Soundlink I. At the same time, the improvement in sound quality in the Sounndlink II will, I believe, address the concerns of those who did voice this concern.
I like the bi-fold cover, which now allows me to more easily carry the unit around the house while playing it. With the SL I, that the cover would be hanging awkwardly if you wanted to walk across the living room playing your music.
Battery indicator light now provides more information about battery status...going from green to yellow to red.
By the way, here's an important tip to anyone wanting to make an objective comparison between the Soundlink and any other portable speaker. Remember that the Soundlink has passive subwoofers that project backwards. Whether or not you are comparing it to something that does not have this feature, keep the Soundlink away from a wall, otherwise it would get that disproportionately boomy bass so that so many have complained about. I think this one little detail has inadvertently and , perhaps unfairly, negatively skewed a few Soundlink reviews. Personally, there are times when I like it close to wall because the music sounds more live that way...but it's a matter of taste.
All that being side, now that I've lived with the Soundlink for over a week, here are some further impressions:
LIKES
--Big, well balanced sound in small form factor. Like a book, it's easy to carry.
--Bluetooth pairs easily
--Versatility. You can also connect via wire
--New bifold cover allows for easier carrying while playing music
--Minimalist design. I like the fact that there is software baggage, remove controls, computerized voices to deal with.
--Gives me a break from having to wear my iPod earbuds all the time.
DISLIKES
--Battery life not as long as others in this category
--No volume reading. While it is easy to adjust the volume, you cannot tell where the volume setting is relative to the highest and lowest settings.
--AC Adapter seems to be bigger than it needs to be.
--Distasteful, overly expensive covers.
Overall, the sound is better than some 2.1 systems with dedicated floor subwoofer I've heard. Also, while I admit I have not heard the Big Jambox, it's hard to imagine this would not turn some folks in that camp...particularly with the smaller, more portable SL form factor. When I was in my 20s, back in the component system heyday, I had Sherwood amplifier/receiver, turntable and cassette deck with...two giant speakers with 12 inch woofers. Today, I am carrying that same big sound around the house with from room to room, some times even playing the same music I used play. What a trip. Thanks Bose.

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment